Monday, March 8, 2010

Chili!

Who doesn't love chili? It's spicy, sweet, and good to eat!

My husband likes my chili recipe because it's filling and I like it because it's healthy. Here it is:

1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can pure pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix)
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato puree
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin (or add more depending on taste)
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans (dark or light, I don't know the difference)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
(Optional, 1/2 cup cooked lentils)

I mix in all the ingredients minus the beans and corn into a crockpot. Set it to low and cook for 6-8 hours. I add the beans and corn half way through cooking.

Serve it with sour cream and cheddar cheese and enjoy!

I typically serve my chili in bread bowls that I make from Rhode's frozen texas rolls. Before baking, I squish 3 or 4 thawed balls together, allow to rise, then bake.

Since this is too spicy for little Luca, I steamed a Nectarine that I picked up at Trader Joe's and mixed it in the food processor with Oikos greek yogurt and a banana. To thicken it, I mix in my cereal mixture: Gerber whole grain dry baby cereal, flax seed and ground dry oatmeal.

1 comment:

Bachelor Girl said...

Cassie, this sounds delicious! PUMPKIN in chili?! Who'd 'a thunk it?!